Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with jbconfig on Solaris 9

2003-05-14 09:04:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with jbconfig on Solaris 9
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:04:24 -0400
On Wed, 14 May 2003, John Herlihy wrote:

>Hi Stan,
>
>are you sure you've got the correct AIT-2 st.conf entry on your Sun
>Server? This could possibly cause this problem.

I will verify this, but I am pretty sure the st.conf entry was added
properly. Its something I asked one of my colleagues to handle.

>Also - we've found that when you're migrating to a new Networker Server,
>if they are connected via a LAN then it's easier just to tar up /nsr
>from one system and restore on the new system.

That's an excellent idea John. I am awaiting a call back from Legato tech
support now. Before I pursue your idea, I prefer to determine the cause of
this mmrecov problem. I am concerned that if I try to side-step the
mmrecov procedure, the problem that's preventing it from working properly
might end up haunting me when I try to do any restores or backups.

Just a few minutes ago, I unwrapped six brand new tapes cartridges, and I
put one tape in each of the six AIT-2 drives in our Qualstar 412600
library. I was able to tar a moderately large directory to each tape
device, then use mt to rewind each tape, then use "tar tvf" to list out
the contents of each tape. I then rewound each tape and removed them from
the library. I had no problem with any of this. I also stood in front of
the tape library while I did this in order to verify that each physical
device corresponds to the correct /dev/rmt/xcbn device file. Wouldn't this
suggest that the st.conf file is correct?