Networker

[Networker] Can't inventory tape on certain drive?

2003-05-13 14:56:19
Subject: [Networker] Can't inventory tape on certain drive?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:56:11 -0400
Okay, here's a weird one:

I have an LTO (generation 1) volume that I am unable to successfully
inventory in one of my four LTO drives: /dev/nst5. These drives are
Seagates, first generation LTO in a StorageTek L80 attached to a Linux
Redhat 7.3 box.

NetWorker loads the tape in the drive and gets to the point of:
"verifying label, rewinding" but just sits on that for a while before it
finally reports:

"Tape label read: Input/Output error"

and then ejects the tape. The tape is now reported as '_*' in the mount
listing.

However, if I use any of the other three devices: /dev/nst2, 3 or 4 it
inventories like a champ. Now, here's the strange part. I tried
inventorying other tapes in
/dev/nst5, and they all work just dandy, but it will never inventory
that
one particular tape in /dev/nst5. I then checked the details on the
device and no consecutive errors are reported for /dev/nst5. nst5 seems
to function fine for everything else. Hmm ...

Any thoughts? Maybe just clean the drive and re-try? Has anyone ever
seen this kind of behavior before?

Thanks.

George