Networker

[Networker] Can I run TWO index's in parallel?

2003-05-08 16:32:56
Subject: [Networker] Can I run TWO index's in parallel?
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:34:16 -0700
I have my normal backups. Usually fulls. Now my company wants to do
incrementals in parallel to the fulls using a second index.  "Why?" You ask?
Simple. They are setting up an offsite internet backup through a third party
to the other side of the US.  This company uses a client on all of our
servers to do incremental backups through the internet.  We would rather do
our own incrementals to a file device on Networker, and then allow their
client to pull the incremental save sets from the one (networker server)
client.  Kind of odd but that is our management...

My problem is this:  Is if I do a normal full everyday, I can no longer get
networker to do an incremental from a full 2 or 3 days ago. The index is set
up to automatically create a single backup "strand" using all availiable
updates..  What I tried to do is set up another copy of the client, and
point it's index at an empty subdirectory.  When I attempted to do this,
networker said "be sure and move the index for your client to the /xxx/xxx
directory.  Apply again to force this operation."

My question is this: Is this a dangerous thing to do in networker?  Has
anyone ever done this before?  Did you have problems with the normal backups
if you did this? This (of course) only applys to the Networker 6.0-7.0
index, not the Networker 5 or earlier index

Thanks in advance
Calvin E. Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics