Networker

Re: [Networker] aborted savesets when cloning?

2003-05-08 11:29:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] aborted savesets when cloning?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:29:27 -0400
When I say reported as "aborted" I mean running something like:

'mminfo -av -s server clone_volume_name'

shows them as having an "aborted" status. Also, they show up in the
volumes window with a status of "aborted". You may be right, though,
because it did in fact run out and was requesting another tape, but
here's where I have a problem with this theory as the culprit. The drive
has a max sessions value of 4. There were 10 pathnames listed in my
input file. The first 5 are rather small, about 4 GB, and the next 5 are
much larger at around 30 GB. The first 5 completed with no problems. I
know that because these all were listed with a status of "recoverable"
by the time the cloning process began the first of the big guns. Now,
this was a brand new LTO tape with 100 GB of native capacity. 5 savesets
at 4 GB each only adds up to 20 GB. That still leaves at least 80 GB
remaining. I have a hard time believing that the next saveset at 30 GB
could not fit on that tape. It should have, in which case the space
problem should not have been an issue with the first of the large
savesets, so I wouldn't have expected this to be a cause of the problem.
On the other hand, I do only see 4 of the larger savesets listed for the
volume, along with the 5 small ones for a total of 9. Obviously, it
never started on the 5th large one. So, it would appear that all 4 of
the larger ones were multi-plexed to the tape, in which case I guess it
could not finish any "one" before it ran out of space. Maybe I'll try
again, and only list two of the large savesets and see what happens. I'm
sure you're right about the "out of space" theory causing the aborted
problem, but since I'd seen this before when cloning several small
savesets, where space on the tape was never an issue, I became
concerned. I find it odd that NetWorker doesn't report these as
"in-progress" or something more meaningful.

Thanks for your response! I will re-test.

George