Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup of Netapp filer

2003-05-07 10:26:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup of Netapp filer
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:26:33 -0500
Yes.  I do this daily, and it works very well.   A couple of suggestions,
however:

(1) enable NFS over TCP on the filer.  This was suggested to me by NetApp
Support, and made a big difference in the filer's output rate
(2) mount the NFS shares to the backup server directly, using the TCP
protocol (in order to take advantage of #1, above.)   This will, however,
cause your backup server's index to become quite large.
(3)  use gigabit ethernet out of the filer, and in/out of the backup
server, if at all possible.  This really helps.
(4) you'll have to create a client definition for the backup server,
specifying the savesets which are the mountpoints (i.e., /filer/vol1
/filer/vol2 etc)
(5) unless there's some good reason to back them up, skip backups of the
.snapshot directories under the individual volumes.

Hope that helps.  Using the above method, we have been seeing performance
of around 4-7 MB/sec onto a DLT7000 tape, sustained.

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

Schoder Andreas <schoder AT EUNET-AG DOT AT>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
05/07/2003 08:15 AM
Please respond to Legato NetWorker discussion; Please respond to Schoder
Andreas