Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiplexing and demultiplexing on clones?

2003-05-02 12:23:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiplexing and demultiplexing on clones?
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:23:52 -0400
On Thu, 1 May 2003 19:36:06 -0400, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>Do we agree, though, that NetWorker is cloning the savesets one at a
>time regardless of how you do it? I see the devices window always shows
>1 of total, 2 of total, ... total of total.

No, we don't. The message displayed is misleading.

In my experience ...

If nsrclone is given a LIST of savesets to clone, regardless of whether
it's -S ssid1 ssid2 ssid3, or the -f filename option, or auto-cloning after
savegrp, it will read through the tape, and whenever it sees an ssid on the
list, will start to clone it.  It'll grab the first chunk of ssid1; if the
next chunk belongs to ssid2, it'll start cloning that saveset, etc.  If the
next chunk belongs to a saveset NOT on the list, it simply skips it.

Next time you try a clone test, simply view the clone volume's contents
from the GUI; you'll see the flags showing "a" for active on multiple
savesets.