Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiplexing and demultiplexing on clones?

2003-05-02 12:14:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiplexing and demultiplexing on clones?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:14:24 -0400
That makes perfect sense! I think if the savesets you were cloning were
not anywhere near in proximity on the same tape, or if each was
completely located on a separate tape and was not a continuation then I
think the multiplexing would be minimal or not at all, but it does make
sense that if two or more of the ssids that you're cloning are together
on the source tape then the interleaved nature would be preserved in
some manner, and clearly, some multiplexing must be occuring when the
ssids are written to the clone as you remarked. One thing I noticed, is
that the devices window at one point jumped from: "cloning 2 of 15" to
"cloning 4 of 15", with no mention of "3 of 15".  I saw this also at
like "12 of 15" with no "13" of 15", but the end results all show 15 of
15. Everything is there. Hmm...

Probably the reason why no conclusive information has been obtained from
Legato is because there are probably very few people there who truly
understand the code and how it works on a lower level. I think you'd
really need to speak to an engineer who knows the software on that
level, and they do exist, but you're unlikely to talk to such a person
because customer support normally always routes you through an outer
shell that moves inward only as need be. Getting someone who really
knows this stuff is not easy because most of them may not work in
customer support, so the information has to be relayed through various
people. The horse's voice sounds different after it's been translated by
five farmers.

George