Networker

Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?

2003-04-30 11:15:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:15:43 -0500
Paula,

I replied to another person about this, but for some reason my reply went
solely to him -- not the list.

We back up approximately 250 NT/2k boxes to Solaris servers, running
NetWorker 6.1.3.  We have no problems doing so.  Although there are lots
of factors involved in successful backups of these boxes, we've done a few
things to maximize the likelihood of success:

* force NICs on the clients AND the network switch to be 100/full.  Do not
allow clients to run at an autonegotiated speed/duplex.
* set the savegroup inactivity to 0 unless there's some really good reason
to have it set to a non-zero number.  This way, if your *server*
parallelism is a lot smaller than the total # of savesets to be saved as
part of the group, you don't have oodles of savesets waiting in the wings
-- and eventually timing out.
* (not sure why this makes a difference, but it seems to help some) Strive
for version like-ness between client and server.   For example, if your
NSR server is running 6.1.3, try to run >=6.1.1 on your clients (however,
Legato will tell you not to run a newer client version than your server
version.)
* verify that your directives are set up properly.   I recently came upon
a NetWorker server in which the "NT standard directives" had been modified
to compress all files, and then compress them again, and then compress
them again, which had the effect of making the client's CPUs work very
hard at compressing files instead of sending them across.
* speaking of compression, if at all possible leave the compression to the
tape drives and don't use the "NT with compression directive" (or whatever
it's called, out of the box.)   From your post, I'm not sure what kind of
tape drive(s) you're using, but with a properly set-up DLT8000 drive on a
Solaris 8 server we have achieved 45-60 GB/tape for NT data and up to 170
GB/tape for UNIX data.

Hope this helps!
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/30/2003 09:44 AM
Please respond to Paula Ehn