Networker

[Networker] List files on tapes?

2003-04-29 20:47:23
Subject: [Networker] List files on tapes?
From: Tom Webster <webster AT SSDPDC.LGB.CAL.BOEING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:47:14 -0700
Hi,

I know this has most likely been asked, but I can't seem to query the
archives, so here goes:

I need to be able to search for some files that may or may not have
been on our servers.  Of course, this would have been a couple of
years ago and the user isn't real sure what the filename would have
been.

I'd prefer not to have to read a couple years worth of index data back
in using scanner.  My understanding is that this should be done as a
serial process, and with a couple hundred tapes for that area it would
take us months.

I've found that I can use the following to get a rough list of the
files on a per-tape basis:

scanner -c client1 -c client2 -c client3 /dev/ntmtXX -x uasm -rvn > log.log 2>&1

This generates a list, that I can search though later using grep, but
it isn't the most ideal output structure.  Adding another -v to the
uasm command will add an additional line to the output, but there is no
indication of the date the file was written and you have to get even the
client name from the context of the SSID flow.

Is there a way to accomplish this in a more human readable format?

What I need:

1. Some way to get file listings from multiple backups on multiple
   tapes.  The tapes are still in the media index, but the data is
   no longer in the file index.

2. Due to the number of tapes this covers and the priority, I need
   to be able to run this on several drives in parallel.

What I'd like:

1. Speed and simplicity.

2. File sizes would be nice but are not a requirement.

3. Modification dates or backup dates would also be nice.

4. A one-line parsable format would be very nice (something like):

   client::filename::size::date

With some investigation into the scanner output, I may be able to
build a parser in perl or to get something similar.

Before I try to re-invent the wheel, is there an easier/better
way to approach this?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                       |  "Funny, I've never seen it     |