Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovered file is 0 bytes?

2003-04-29 10:24:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovered file is 0 bytes?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:48:40 -0400
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>  I just recovered a file using "recover -c <client> -s <server>" with the
>CLI tool.  When I was looking at the file lising in the client it showed
>the file being 5K.  When I actually executed the recover it was 0 bytes.
>I just got paranoid and did a :
>
>recover -s <server> -S <$SSID> -d /tmp/foo
>
>It made 0 length files for everything on the C: but that's it.  Anyone
>ever see this or have any ideas how to get this data off the tape, it's
>rather critical?

Probably, the file was either in use (i.e., locked by Winblows)  or
corrupt at the time it was backed up. NetWorker probably had no problem
reading the size of the file (because a file lock does not make that info
unavailable), but it could not get the contents of the file due to the
lock.

In all likelihood, the users of that system either need to shut down all
their apps when they're finished with them each day, or you need to
install an open file manager, such as Legato's offering.

You might be able to get the file from another day's backup.