Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovered file is 0 bytes?

2003-04-29 10:08:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovered file is 0 bytes?
From: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris AT RDLG DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:58:22 -0400
It's a payroll system.  The file shouldn't have been in use.  In
addition I told it to recover the entire saveset from the tape in
question.  It made a complete listing of the C: to /tmp/foo but every
file was 0 bytes.

I'm trying:
  scanner -S 2937736961 /dev/nst1 | /usr/lib/nsr/uasm -rv

Which isn't doing anything yet.  The file was backed up about a month
ago and wasn't corrupt at the time (used since then) but now I can't
recover it.

Any suggestions or other thoughts on how to pull this off tape?

Thus spake Stan Horwitz (stan AT temple DOT edu):

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> >  I just recovered a file using "recover -c <client> -s <server>" with the
> >CLI tool.  When I was looking at the file lising in the client it showed
> >the file being 5K.  When I actually executed the recover it was 0 bytes.
> >I just got paranoid and did a :
> >
> >recover -s <server> -S <$SSID> -d /tmp/foo
> >
> >It made 0 length files for everything on the C: but that's it.  Anyone
> >ever see this or have any ideas how to get this data off the tape, it's
> >rather critical?
>
> Probably, the file was either in use (i.e., locked by Winblows)  or
> corrupt at the time it was backed up. NetWorker probably had no problem
> reading the size of the file (because a file lock does not make that info
> unavailable), but it could not get the contents of the file due to the
> lock.
>
> In all likelihood, the users of that system either need to shut down all
> their apps when they're finished with them each day, or you need to
> install an open file manager, such as Legato's offering.
>
> You might be able to get the file from another day's backup.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert AT ipv6.rdlg DOT net     http://ipv6.rdlg.net