Networker

Re: [Networker] No devices in /dev/rmt

2003-04-25 11:31:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] No devices in /dev/rmt
From: Mark T Wragge <storage AT TTT DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:30:50 +0100
Hi Davina,  thank you for your mail last week.  I have managed to see my
devices by editing the st.conf with similar entries to:
name="st" parent="lpfc" target=99 lun=2

Also thanks to all others who replied to my questions.

I haven't configured any persistent binding though.  I am using a Dell
Bridge which detects each tape device and assigns it a SCSI ID (not
reflecting the id of the device on the library).  These IDs are entered into
a database on the bridge and if I make changes i would have to rebuild the
database.  If there was a change in the library config the bridge would not
change the IDs of the current drives, it would just add the drive to the
next ID.

Example:
Drives are ID 2,4,6    Robot is 1  (the bridge skips scsi id automatically,
i assume for failover options)
If I change a drives SCSI id (say device) on the library then it is picked
up as a new device in the bridge and the the config would be
Drives are ID 2,6,8 Robot is 1

So my question is : do I need to use persistent binding with this bridge as
it will always present the drives in the same order with the same scsi IDs.
(Unless there is a change on the library).

Second question:  Is persistent binding purely related to the order which
the drives are presented and the scsi ID which they are presented.  Are
there any other factors which can cause changes that persistent binding
prevents.

Thank you.