Networker

Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"

2003-04-22 17:24:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:23:55 -0400
"Porotikov, Vitaly [IT]" wrote:

> Yuriy,
>
>    Did you try to kill nsrmm process which is responsible for this tape
> drive?
>
> give a try:
>
> kill -9 `lsof |grep /dev/rmt/<idle devcie>|awk '{print $2}'`

Thanks. My point is there should be no manual intervention in the
process.
I have analyzed the messages (nsradmin->NSR jukebox->messages) and I
found that the problem occurs only when nsrjb request involves volume
labeling (ie. a new/blank tape is requested).
Last night backup did not label any tapes so it went smoothly.
My question is, is it expected behavior when request for labeling is
treated like this ?
It looks like Networker proceeds with it only in case there is an empty
drive by that time.
Otherwise it waits, no matter if the tape that is currently in the drive
is idle and can be unloaded.