Networker

Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?

2003-04-21 11:18:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:18:26 -0400
Hey George,

I do pass a list of ssids to nsrclone, but since that list contains all valid
ssids on each volume I want to clone in practice it actually clones the whole
volume.  nsrclone is smart enough to take the list of ssids and backup them up
one volume at a time as opposed to sequentially backing up one ssid at a time.
I don't use the clone volume feature because I want to be able to exclude
non-valid ssids(incomplete,suspect).  I suppose the "per volume" might do this
automatically... but this way I know for certain I'm not getting any junk data
on my clone tapes.

FYI I also send my original and now "verified" tapes offsite.  So any online
restores come from the cloned media.  This process verifies my offsite media,
and to a degree does a "random" verify on my cloned data.

Joel