Networker

Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?

2003-04-21 09:08:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:08:11 -0400
Not sure if I missed this point in the thread, but as long as you're cloning
all or most of the ssids on a volume you should get nearly maximum drive speed
on cloning.  My cloning runs anywhere between 20-80Mbs, because I clone full
volumes(or all !incomplete,!suspect ssids).  From what I see it doesn't do any
de-multiplexing, it just reads data from list of ssids you passed to it and
writes it in the same order.

I started full scale cloning just about 2 months ago and it has already saved
my butt.  It turned out we had a firmware issue with our drives, but I never
got any errors until we attempted to read the data.  Now, because of the
cloning we are attempting to read every single saveset we back up so I started
seeing a bunch of media errors.  After a couple of weeks of trouble shooting we
wound up putting the latest firmware on the drives, now all is well.  Moral of
the story is... if I hadn't been cloning I wouldn't have known I wasn't getting
good backups until someone needed a restore.  Not a good time to find that out.

Joel