Networker

Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"

2003-04-21 04:29:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:29:15 +0200
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Yura Pismerov wrote:

YP> So instead of using 2 drives it ends up with one drive. I watch nsrjb
YP> process that is issued for the second drive and keeps looping/trying.
YP> Does anybody have an idea what is wrong ? There is not much in the logs
YP> files that could shed light on the problem.
YP> The version of Networker is 6.1.3 (running on Solaris 9).
YP> Interesting thing is, if I kill the queued nsrjb process and issue
YP> manual tape umount (nsrjb -u), the requested tape gets mounted right
YP> away next time it retries.
YP> What do I do to troubleshoot the problem ?

Is the nsrjb process eating up all CPU time? If so, you might have a
buggy nsrjb binary. I used to have this problem as well, so I know. It
seems like 6.1.3 is shipped with a rather nasty bug in nsrjb, which makes
the nsrjb process hang, and thus block further re-labelling attempts,
which exhausts the supply for volumes when creating backups. Anyway, if
that is the problem you see, contact legato for a patch. If they are
uneager to respond, contact me off-list and I will email you the sparc
nsrjb binary. :)

//Oscar