Networker

Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?

2003-04-17 11:54:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:53:59 -0400
Yeah, I can see that the cloning would definitely go faster with less
multi-plexing that was done on the source tape, but I'm curious if it
might be possible to multi-plex the savesets to the clone volume just as
they were multi-plexed to the source tape. You could certainly have one
clone operation running against one saveset on one source tape and
another clone operation running against another saveset if you launched
two separate nsrclone operations, so perhaps in the amount of time it
would take you to clone say 25 savesets from one tape you could also
finish 25 from another, but unless you can multi-plex it, it just seems
that doing even 25 would take a conserably long time since it can't do
more than one at at time. I'm assuming it can't, but maybe I'm wrong.

You could always create a tar archive of the data and that could be a
non-NetWorker version, but I'm not aware of any utility that would read
a NetWorker volume and then create a non-Legato output tape. I'm
curious, though, about this business of cloning an entire volume versus
cloning all the savesets on the volume one at a time. They say that when
you're cloning the entire volume, you're really cloning the savesets
themselves. As such, it would appear that cloning a volume would be
tantamount to individually cloning all the savesets one at a time. Has
anyone actually tested this.  I wonder if cloning the volume might still
be faster. What they need is a tape copy utility that doesn't pay
attention to multi-plexing and cloning each darn saveset. Just copy the
tape verbatim like dd. Maybe dd could be used to dump the contents of
the tape and then pipe it to tar and then dd it to another tape? Some
such thing?

George