Networker

Re: [Networker] recycle from other pools ?

2003-04-17 07:04:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] recycle from other pools ?
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:04:23 -0400
Davina Treiber wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:25:43 -0400, Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT
> COM>
> wrote:
>
> >I have enabled "recycle from other pools" in pool settings and I was
> >trying to test it by recycling tapes in another pool and see if the tape
> >is picked up by the first pool in event when a new tape is required. It
> >worked, but not the way I expected. The tape from another pool was
> >relabeled automatically, but the new label was still from the old pool,
> >not from the one I recycle it to. Is it expected behavior ? If yes, is
> >there way to get Networker to re-label the tape with the new label from
> >the target pool, not from the one it was borrowed from ?
>
> When you think about it, I suppose it is expected behaviour. Generally when
> you recycle a tape you would not expect the label to change. If you are
> recycling it into a different pool with a different label template this is
> probably a strange case, and who is to say what is the correct or desired

        And why is it strange case ?  I just want to get better utilization of
the tapes that can be recycled. Why wait until the tape is required for
the same pool
if another pool needs it ? And this is especially important when you
have several
pools in a library with not that many slots.

> behaviour? Would you actually want the label to change? I don't think there
> is a right or wrong answer to this. In reality, the majority of cases would
> be using barcodes and matching barcodes to labels, so this would not be an

        Agreed. If I used generic labels then what I said would not make sense.

> issue. What has happened in your case is probably something that Legato
> have never considered, and I don't expect they would agree that this is a
> bug.

        No I would not call it a bug.
        I guess "feature request" is a better term for it.