Networker

Re: [Networker] recycle from other pools ?

2003-04-17 04:00:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] recycle from other pools ?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 04:00:57 -0400
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:25:43 -0400, Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
wrote:

>I have enabled "recycle from other pools" in pool settings and I was
>trying to test it by recycling tapes in another pool and see if the tape
>is picked up by the first pool in event when a new tape is required. It
>worked, but not the way I expected. The tape from another pool was
>relabeled automatically, but the new label was still from the old pool,
>not from the one I recycle it to. Is it expected behavior ? If yes, is
>there way to get Networker to re-label the tape with the new label from
>the target pool, not from the one it was borrowed from ?

When you think about it, I suppose it is expected behaviour. Generally when
you recycle a tape you would not expect the label to change. If you are
recycling it into a different pool with a different label template this is
probably a strange case, and who is to say what is the correct or desired
behaviour? Would you actually want the label to change? I don't think there
is a right or wrong answer to this. In reality, the majority of cases would
be using barcodes and matching barcodes to labels, so this would not be an
issue. What has happened in your case is probably something that Legato
have never considered, and I don't expect they would agree that this is a
bug.