Networker

Re: [Networker] No devices in /dev/rmt

2003-04-17 03:46:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] No devices in /dev/rmt
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:46:16 -0400
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:19:53 +0100, Mark T Wragge <storage AT TTT DOT IE> wrote:

>Networker 6.1.3
>W2k Networker Server (QLogic HBA)
>Solaris 2.8 SAN Storage Node  (Emulex HBA)
>DLT7000 * 3
>ADIC 100 Library
>
>Windows Server can see all three drives and I have used Jbconfig to
install and test.
>A Solaris issued ./inquire command can see robot and drives but the drives
are not named (i.e. no /dev/rmt/0cbn).  When I go to /dev/rmt it is empty.
>I have run: reboot -- -r   drvconfig  tapes
>
>Am I required to edit the st.conf file on Solaris 2.8?
>If so, exectly what do I have to do?  There are two entries related to
DLT7000 and I have removed the # from the front of them and inserted  ; at
the end of each entry.

>Would I need to reboot after editing the st.conf file.
>Do you think I am on the right track to troubleshooting the problem?

If you can see the devices from an inquire command then you probably have
all the entries you need in st.conf, although you should check that you
have the appropriate entries for the LUNs you are presenting. These will
look something like:

name="st" parent="lpfc" target=99 lun=2

You do need to reboot after making st.conf changes, or at least reload the
st module. You should also have the correct entries in lpfc.conf to
correctly map your devices using persistent binding.

When all this is correct, you need to create the devices. I think the
drvconfig;tapes commands are now deprecated, although I think they will
still work, however the correct command these days is

devfsadm -c tape

Good luck, SAN tapes are never quite as straightforward as you would hope.
Are your drives native fibre or do you have some bridges/routers in the
picture? The config of routers can also be quite important to the reliable
operation of your system.