Networker

Re: [Networker] Running savesets simultaneously?

2003-04-16 19:23:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running savesets simultaneously?
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:23:53 -0400
George Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the best way to back up the same saveset to two different tapes
> simultaneously? Can this be done and if so, what is the best way?
>
> Let's say I have a client that has 10 directories. I want to back up
> each of these as a separate path (saveset) to a tape, maybe like 4 at a
> time since my sessions per device is currently set to 4. I then want to

The number of the target sessions does not mean it is limited it.
It only means that after number of sessions for the group reaches the
threshold Networker will try to allocate another device for the new
sessions.
After all the drives "filled up" evenly it starts load balancing (kind
of) so all the drivers that are enabled for the pool have the same
number of sessions.
Total number is limited by either server parallelism or group
parallelism (that takes precedence if it has non-zero value).

> create a second copy of these on another tape. I was considering
> cloning, but this seems not to be the best choice in this case, so I was
> thinking rather than backing everything up once to one tape and then
> repeating the process for the next tape, I would instead do it to both

Cloning does not imply second backup run - it is volume-to-volume copy.

> tapes at the same time and finish in half the time. My client
> parallelism is typically set to 4 on most of the clients.
>
> Would it be possible for the client to send four save sessions to two
> different devices? Maybe a client cannot back up the same session to
> more than one device at a time? Not sure, never tried.

I think you will have to set up a separate group for it with the same
schedule, but bound to different pool. So it will be 2 save sessions
running for the same save set.
Considering network performance, it might be feasible to review cloning
option.
Also keep in mind that speed of the cloning is limited only by speed of
your tape drives only.