Networker

[Networker] Removing a volume and non-registered clients?

2003-04-16 16:35:30
Subject: [Networker] Removing a volume and non-registered clients?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:35:29 -0400
Hi,

I occassionally see messages in the daemon.log file like:

nsrd: can't purge saveset from index whatever (`whatever' is not a
registered client)

When you remove or re-label a volume, NetWorker is supposed to remove
the saveset entries from the media database, but if the savesets are
from a client that is no longer registered, i.e. the client's index is
no longer available, then what becomes of these saveset entries?

This was something I've never considered or even worried about until
now, but this raises a few questions:

1. Once a client is no logner being backed up, I typically delete the
client from the client listing and move the old index into a different
directory. I'm not sure at what point a client becomes non-registered.
Is it when it's removed from the client list or when its index is no
longer located under /nsr/index?

2. If the client's index still existed under /nsr/index, but was removed
from the client list, then would a re-label operation or a remove volume
operation still be able to remove the savesets from that client or must
the client still be listed in the client listing?

3. To be completely clean about it, I'm thinking I should go back and
remove all the saveset entries, for volumes that no longer exist, that
were never removed because the client was no longer registered at the
time that I removed or re-labeled the volume. How do I round these
stragglers up and remove them? Should I do this? I'm thinking to be
completely clean, I should remove those savesets since the volume is
gone.

4. When you're getting ready to remove a volume, what's the best way to
ensure that all the saveset entries are removed from the media database
even though one or more clients may no longer be registered?

Yeah, I could temporarily re-create them, remove the volume and then
remove the temporary clients, but then I would have to look at each tape
that I wanted to remove or re-label and figure out which clients to
re-create each time I wanted to remove or re-label a volume. Certainly
doable, but kind of a pain in the neck.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

George