Networker

Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity

2003-04-16 04:29:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity
From: Gaddy <xy.0815 AT GMX DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:29:57 -0400
Recently, I've got a document (from IBM)
desribing the same naming problems for TSM :-)

>It is recommended that because of the potentially changing nature
>of \\.\Tapex names on Windows NT and Windows 2000 platforms
>this naming convention is not used.
>The alternative is to use a device alias name
>in the form of mtx.y.z.n for all tape devices.
>This identifies a device explicitly by
>its SCSI Target ID, LUN, SCSI Bus Number and SCSI Port on the Host,
>rather than by its Windows assigned device name.

It's the very 1st time I've heard about these "DEVICE ALIAS NAMES".
Do they realy exist?
If NetWorker will accept this new naming conventions
"almost all" my problems in the SAN are solved.

Has somebody made this to work?

-sg-