Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with jukebox utilities under /etc/LGTOuscsi

2003-04-14 18:17:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with jukebox utilities under /etc/LGTOuscsi
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:17:27 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Need help with jukebox utilities under...:

>Hi,
>
>I some questions on the utility programs that NetWorker puts under
>/etc/LGTOuscsi on Unix.
>
>1. There are no man pages on these, and some of them don't appear to do
>anything when you run them (e.g. sjiinq). How do you know what they do
>if you have no help information on them and they don't do anything when
>you run them? I tried a google search and nada! Can someone explain a
>little about these utilities ortell me where I can get more information
>on them?

You run strings on the binary to figure out what strings it has built in.
You truss/strace/whatever the binary to see if you can find what flags or
files it's looking for.

You feed the binary something like

        --help

or

        -h

or

        -?

on the command line, to try get it to spit out what it wants.

Basically, all the standard stuff you do with any UNIX program that
is under-documented.

$sudo /etc/LGTOuscsi/sjiinq -?
-?: No such device

Aha, it's looking for a device.  Since you know that NetWorker often
uses ``scsidev AT bus.target DOT lun'' for it's scsi device access, you could
do something like:

        /etc/LGTOuscsi/sjiinq [email protected]

(use your own bus/target/lun).

>2. Are the names of these utilities standard between backup software,
>e.g. Veritas, et al.?

Absolutely not.

>3. I occasionally need the ability to move a tape from a slot or the CAP
>door to a drive and vice versa without NetWorker getting involved, e.g.
>when using something like tar. I use the 'inquire' command a lot, but
>I've never run the others. Sometime ago, one person suggested using
>'sjimm' like:
>
>sjimm [email protected] slot # drive #
>
>where x, y and z values are obtained from 'inquire'.
>
>for moving a tape from a slot into a drive, but is there a different
>command that should be used to unload the tape first before running the
>command to return it back to the slot?

If it's loaded an online in a drive, use need something like

        mt -f /path/to/drive rewind
        mt -f /path/to/drive offline

or

        mt -f /path/to/drive rewoffl

if your UNIX supports it.

If it's not loaded and online in a drive, you don't need use any other
commands before moving.  You just need to understand that you need to
be careful, because if you don't move it back to where NetWorker expects
it to be (or update NetWorker's knowledge of where it is), NetWorker is
going to get confused.

> Must I use 'nsrjb' to move the
>tape from the CAP door to a slot first before running sjimm or is there
>a way to move it straight from the CAP door to the drive?

Depends on your jukebox capabilities.

>4. What's the difference between 'movemed' and 'sjimm'? 'movemed'
>mentions '-a' b.t.l  and something about transport address. What are
>these values and parameters mean? What's transport address or an example
>of that value?

It's the address you use to talk to the component of the jukebox that
corresponds to the robot(s) / hand(s) / whatever.  You get this
information using something like `sjirdtag':

        sjirdtag [email protected]

        [lots of stuff about slots deleted]

        Elem[238]: tag_val=0 pres_val=1 med_pres=0 med_side=0

Tag Data for [email protected], Element Type MEDIA TRANSPORT:
        Elem[001]: tag_val=0 pres_val=1 med_pres=0 med_side=0

That last bit is the hand/robot in our 9710.

>Would greatly appreciate any help here?

BTW, I highly recommend the `mtx' program, which is available on
Sourceforge.  It works on Linux, Solaris, and others, and is a documented
media-changer utility.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu