Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Support Programs

2003-04-13 16:38:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Support Programs
From: Oscar NOSPAM Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:37:58 +0200
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Ed Skolnik wrote:

ES> I was just wondering how many folks out there use the Legato Premier
ES> Support Program and if you do is it worth the extra expense over say
ES> extented support?

We have managed to resolve almost all issues ourselves for the last three
years. The only thing one could wish is that patches were made public, or
semi-public for people with a valid license for the product in question.
It is possible to believe that Legato tries to squeeze out a few more
bucks from customers who have already paid expensive software licenses. ;)
Our experience is that this practice is most cost-efficient in most cases,
at least when it comes to software. In general, we only have support
agreements for high-end hardware such as core-routers/switches, and more
obscure hardware, such as tape libraries. The rest can be ordered new from
suppliers in a day if the devices fail. One exception is the Cisco TAC,
which so far has ben excellent - it took me 4 minutes to get a qualified
engieneer for my platform on the phone at 3AM, when I needed it the most.