Networker

Re: [Networker] CLONING FOR WHAT ?

2003-04-11 16:51:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] CLONING FOR WHAT ?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:51:14 -0400
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Julio Porras wrote:

>Now, in case of a disaster (that's the whole point of cloning your latest
>database full backup and saving it away from your site), what good is my
>clone tape for? How do I restore that data back into Informix now that my
>whole site is destroyed, I have no legato server, I have no Informix client?
>I need of course to recreate my hardware environment right? Ok, so now I
>have new legato box and a new Informix box with a clean legato and Informix
>installations, What do I need to create a networker environment in which I
>could restore my database? Do I need to clone and store away some other data
>besides my database backup? What data would that be? What general steps do I
>have to follow in order to restore my environment?

Your questions are good ones to ask, but they are not new. This is a good
opportunity to put in a plug for the book a fellow subscriber to this list
wrote. The book is "Unix Backup & Recovery" by W. Curtis Preston and
published by O'Reilly. This book is chock full of tips on how to develop a
realistic disaster recovery plan.