Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape

2003-04-10 11:39:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape
From: James Edwards <jedwards AT SOS.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:42:25 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Darrell Miller [mailto:darrell AT KOSHUME DOT COM]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 10:22 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU

Michael Pye wrote:

> We have 2 Quantum ATL M1500s with stacklink, using LTO Ultrium
> drives/tapes, on a Sun E250/Solaris7
> running Legato Networker 6.1.1.
>
> A recent problem with our Legato installation caused us to relabel a
> particular tape and we have subsequently written a small amount of data
> (about 1gb) to the tape. However, if possible , we would like to recover
> what was on the tape BEFORE we relabelled it.
>
> Is it possible at all (maybe using scanner) to recover what was on a
> tape before it was relabelled, even if we have done a small amount of
> writing to it ?

See the scanner -f and/or -r options, which will let you skip past
the overwritten area.

I don't think those are tape files or records, I think they are files and
records as recorded and indexed by Networker.  Those file and records
numbers are recorded in Networker and you can retrieve them from the Save
Sets window so I am pretty sure they are very specific to Networker.  I
seriously doubt scanner will read outside of the area bounded by the marks
made by the new data.

However, it's certainly worth a try.

Jim Edwards