Networker

[Networker] Effect of changing block size

2003-04-08 16:07:03
Subject: [Networker] Effect of changing block size
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:06:56 -0400
Hey Guys,

E450/Solaris 2.6/Solstice Backup 6.1.2

STK9310/9940B drives

I was wondering if anyone would know what the effect of lowering the
block size for a device would be.

My 9940B drives currently use the default 256k block size.  I would like
to lower them to 64k so I'm compatible with a W2K SAN storage node I
have coming online in the future.  Problem is that I have several(~300)
volumes with data on them and 1000 labeled with the 256k block size.  I
don't foresee a problem with relabeling the ones without data, but I was
unsure of what might happen to the ones with data.  I'm afraid I might
get the "read 256000 bytes, expected 64000, check system device
configuration, disabling forward space record" error.  This obviously
would cause recoveries to be incredible slow.  I would think that since
the tape was labeled at 256k that it wouldn't have a problem
reading(i.e. the NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_DEVICE_NAME setting only effecting
new labels and tapes).

Any clarification on this would be great.  I don't think it should be a
problem, but then again I'm not quit sure.

Thanks,

Joel