Networker

[Networker] Need help with level backup

2003-04-07 12:50:47
Subject: [Networker] Need help with level backup
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:50:44 -0400
Hi,

Is there a way to have NetWorker run a level full if running a numbered
level (5, 4, 3, etc.) would result in the same? Allow me to explain the
madness. I have a file system on a particular client that has not
changed since March 17, 2003. A lot of data was added at that time,
resulting in about 25 GB worth of a backup. However, no data has been
added and no files have changed since then, but each lower level backup
insists on doing essentially a full:

Date level size
03/04/03 full 2 KB
03/11/03 incr 3189 MB
03/14/03 5 3189 MB
03/17/03 incr 25 GB
03/21/03 4 25 GB
03/28/03 3 25 GB
04/04/03 2 25 GB

I guess this makes sense since NetWorker thinks it needs to keep
capturing all the files that have changed since the last full on
03/04/03. Unfortunately, the last full was also the first one when the
file system was basically empty. I guess I need to run another full so
the next levels won't keep backing up all the data? We typically run one
full at the end of the month with descending levels once a week  and
nightly incrementals. This saves tapes but at the same time increases
safety over just running only incrementals since each week we capture al
changes on one tape. For most savesets, this strategy works nicely, BUT,
in this case, it seems that this is just wasting tapes since another
full has not yet been run! This brings up two questions:

1. Is there a way to have NetWorker automatically run a level full
instead of a numbered level if running a numbered level would result in
basically a full anyway? I know I can set the schedules, but how would I
know without having to check each file system's saveset notifications? I
really need a variable setting.

2. Is there a way to easily identify clients where this level problem
might be occurring?

Thanks!

George