Networker

Re: [Networker] advantages and disadvantages in using the Legato Microsoft SQL module for backing up MS SQL

2003-04-03 16:11:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] advantages and disadvantages in using the Legato Microsoft SQL module for backing up MS SQL
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:11:49 -0500
Hey Ed,

My opinion on this extends to pretty much all DB agent backups vs.
backup to disk.

Disadvantages:

Disk First:
You either have to write prescripts that make this happen before your
job starts(this, in my experience, is a very unreliable setup), or your
have to schedule your backups to finish after you disk backup finishes
and before it starts again.  This can be difficult with large databases
that take a long time to backup to disk.  It also makes for an error
prone/ unflexible setup.  When the database grows and the backup to disk
doesn't end until after your Networker backup starts then you'll have
worthless backups.  This can go unnoticed until a restore is required
then it's too late.
Requires twice the disk space, or you can compress but that is very
resource intensive.

Agent Backups:
Initial setup can be more complex (specifically the oracle agent).  The
MSSQL agent is very simple to setup.

Advantages:

Disk First:
You have a current backup on disk ready to be restored quickly.
Although, I've found that it is quite fast to restore from tape with the
Sybase and MSSQL agents.  Not much experience with the Oracle agent...
seems a bit convoluted.
It makes DBAs feel good(not sure why but it does in my experience).

Agent Backups:

Very flexible.  Resource requirement aside you have no time restraints
for scheduling or rescheduling.
No extra disk required.
No need to develop pre/post scripts

Just my opinions... we do it both ways, and if I had my preference I'd
have every database backed up through an agent.

Hope this helps,

Joel