Networker

Re: [Networker] Save set staging

2003-04-03 04:40:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save set staging
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 04:40:19 -0500
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:42:02 +1000, George Scott
<George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU> wrote:

>> There's a "grandfathering" program.
>
>This is a strange term.
>
>A "fathering program" sounds like a government initiative to increase
>the population.
>
>What does that make a grandfathering program?

It means you have "grandfather rights" to use the feature.

I would guess that the term is derived from immigration, where if your
grandfather/grandmother is from a particular country then you will have a
right of residence or citizenship.

> From its context it seems to be a scheme to extract more income from
>customers by stealth.  Give them something (that they have always had)
>for free and then start charging them an annual fee to keep using it.

>What next?  The Media Clone Option?  DLT Backup Option?  LTO Backup
>Option?
>
>Solaris ClientPak?
Solaris ClientPak is a chargeable option already! At least the Unix
ClientPak (which includes Solaris) is chargeable if your NetWorker server
runs on Linux or Windows.

>Media Database Connection licenses?
>
>Media Multiplexing Option?

Don't! You're just giving them ideas!  :-(