Networker

Re: [Networker] The use of null in unix directives?

2003-03-31 19:55:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] The use of null in unix directives?
From: Andrew McGeorge <Andrew.McGeorge AT ASBBANK.CO DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:53:36 +1200
George,

I don't think that you are correct about the next full backup wiping out the
indexes for dir1,2,3. It just looks that way when you try to recover. When
recovering use the command line and specify the whole path in one go.

In other words if you try the following:

cd /raid
cd dir1

to get to your directory, it will look as if your piecemeal backup is
missing. But if you specify the path like this:

cd /raid/dir1

the piecemeal backup will show up. It's because in this case NetWorker is
reading the "/" between "raid" and "dir1" as a normal (escaped) character,
rather than as a meta character. I had no end of grief with this when I
tried the same thing.

I think that you will find that it doesn't matter whether you use skip or
null, the result will be the same.

regards
Andrew McGeorge