Networker

[Networker] Very basic directive question under Unix?

2003-03-31 18:18:39
Subject: [Networker] Very basic directive question under Unix?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:18:34 -0500
Hello,

I have a rather basic question concerning the use of +skip versus skip
under Unix. Let's suppose you want to skip the entire /home file system.
If you're directive looks like this:

<< /home >>
skip .?* *

versus say:

<< /home >>
+skip .?* *

Then in this case, since you're skipping the whole enchilada, don't they
both accomplish the same thing? On the other hand, if I wanted to
capture the whole file system, but I wanted to exclude every occurrence
of say jack, and only jack, then wouldn't I *HAVE* to have:

<< /home >>
+skip: jack

It's just always been my understanding that the '+' is only really
necessary when you're telling NetWorker to recursively skip specific
path names under the path named inside the angle brackets, but not if
you're skipping the whole path named inside the angle brackets. Maybe
this is true only under Unix and not Windows or NT?

Any help on clearing up this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

George