Networker

Re: [Networker] Directive Question

2003-03-31 12:07:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directive Question
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:07:32 -0500
You could simply specifiy only C:\ as the saveset and not All. This
would only backup C:\. Next, you could create a custom directive for
this client as:

<< "C:\" >>
skip: "program files\exchsrv"

Not sure about the double quotes, but I think when working with NT or
Windows systems, you have to use the double quotes if the path name
contains spaces. Unfortunatley, though, I'm not sure that you would
capture SYSTEM STATE:\ if you did not specifify 'All' for the saveset.
So, maybe specifiying 'All' and then using the following custom
directive would be better:

<< "C:\" >>
skip: "program files\exchsrv"

<< "D:\" >>
skip: *.*

<< "F:\" >>
skip: *.*

<< "M:\" >>
skip: *.*

I don't really see any reason to use +skip when you're skipping the
whole thing anyway. I normally employ '+skip' when I want to back up the
whole thing, but I want to skip one thing recursively under there.
That's what the '+' is for. For example, let's suppose I want to back up
all of M:\ but I want to skip any occurence of the directory 'foo' or
the file 'Robin.hood' that might live anywhere under there. I could use
the following:

<< "M:\" >>
+skip: foo
+skip: Robin.hood

If I just said: 'skip' and not '+skip', then only occurences of these
files at the root level of M:\ would be skipped, not those that might
occur deeper down.

BUT, if I wanted to skip everything under M:\, I should be able to just
say:

skip: *.*

In this case, NetWorker is not going to just skip stuff in the root area
of M:\ Instead, it will skip everything downward because it's already
ignoring all the files and directories at that level anyway.

Hope this helps.

George