Networker

[Networker] Re: [Networker] Question about Legato License politics

2003-03-25 08:50:17
Subject: [Networker] Re: [Networker] Question about Legato License politics
From: "francis.berges" <francis.berges AT LAPOSTE DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:50:14 +0100
I got the same problem a few months ago and reading the
Hello,

I got the same problem a few months ago and reading the documentation i found
the following:

< extracted from Legato NetWorker Release 6.0.1, Windows Version Release
Supplement ( page 40 ) >

In NetWorker release 6.0 and later, the NetWorker for Linux server software is
licensed
as a separate platform. Therefore, the ClientPak ® software for UNIX on a
NetWorker
6.0 or later server no longer supports Linux clients. A Linux client backing up
to a
NetWorker server for either UNIX or Windows requires a ClientPak for Linux
enabler.
If you purchased a ClientPak for UNIX enabler code during the period from May
1999
through September 2000, you may obtain a ClientPak for Linux enabler code that
was
included in the cost of the ClientPak for UNIX enabler.
To continue to receive support on Linux clients while you obtain your permanent
ClientPak for Linux enabler, use the following 45-day temporary ClientPak for
Linux
enablers:
? f67378-9f0226-6818bc
? d25754-b32e0a-794f98
To obtain the permanent enabler code, contact the Legato Licensing Department
or
e-mail your request to service AT legato DOT com. You will be asked to provide
your company
name, contact name, and ClientPak for UNIX enabler code. The ClientPak for UNIX
enabler code is your proof of purchase.

So i sent my old registration to LEGATo and as i was in the "free period", i
receive the new free linux
licences.

HTH

Francis

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Claassen, Olaf wrote:

>We want to update NetWorker from Version 5.5 to 6. In the 5.5 Version we
>could backup our Linux Server with the normal UNIX Client Packs. In
>Version 6, NetWorker asks for a Linux Client Pack. So, we bought the
>Unix Client Packs for our whole Linux Equipement. What does that mean? I
>have to buy Linux Client Packs again to backup our server. That means I
>have to pay double for it?

No. The server can always back itself up; that's essential to its
operation. You need a license pak to back up any system that runs an
operating system that is different than the one your server uses.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)"