Networker

[Networker] SUMMARY: ADIC 1000 vs. STK L180 (and thanks to all)

2003-03-21 14:55:46
Subject: [Networker] SUMMARY: ADIC 1000 vs. STK L180 (and thanks to all)
From: "Reid, Jana" <JReid AT LEXGEN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:40:13 -0600
> THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES!
>

> Here are some of the responses from the question I posted to the group:
>
> ==========
>
> I would go for ADIC Scalar 1000, or even wait for the new one's, Scalar i
> series.
> The flexibility & scalability with the STK libs are not as good as ADIC's.
> The L180 & L700 is a OK lib, but the S1000 seems to be a better choose to
> me.
>
> My company sells both STK & ADIC libs, and the S1000 is a mutch more
> reliable lib with better technology & performance
>
> My humble opinion:)
> Good luck!
>

> ==========
>
> Are you comparing apples with apples? Surely the ADIC Scalar 1000 is
> (potentially) a much larger library than the L180?
>
> I have worked extensively with L180 and L700 libraries and find them
> excellent, and fairly reliable. However I have also used the ADIC Scalar
> 1000 and it is too a good piece of equipment. If anything I would say that
> the STK is much more economical in terms of floorspace - there is a lot of
> fresh air in an ADIC Scalar 1000.
>
> Davina
> ==========
>
> You do have a valid point there Davina, even though the L180 is only
> about 200 cartridges per square meter, the Scalar 1000 is less than that
> because of the age of the design. If density is your key point however
> then you are much better of with the Scalar 10K, with its 900 cartridges
> per meter squared!
>
> And for Bob Schuknecht who pointed out the library is very fast, its
> rated at 350 exchanges per hour, worst case (full length).
>
> Regards
>
> Paul (w/ADIC)
>
> ===========
>
> Jana,
>
> I think that you will find that the Scalar 1K is a far superior solution,
> not only does it have much  broader media support
> (DLT/SDLT/LTO1&2/3590/AIT) but it is fully expandable up to 938 slots and
> 48 drives from the initial 188 slot and up to 6 drive configuration.
>
> But then of course, I am biased ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
>
> Paul White BSc (Hons), Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
> Advanced Digital Information Corporation (ADIC) Europe
>
> 115 Wharfedale Road,    SwitchBoard: +44 118 922 9100
> Winnersh,               DDI:         +44 118 922 9112
> Berkshire,              Mobile:      +44 7876 575321
> RG41 5RB,               Email:       paul.white AT adic DOT com
> UK                      Web:         www.adic.com
>
> ===========
> SDLT or LTO?
>
> My experience is limited to the STK L180 w/SDLT, however, I can say that
> I've been pretty satisfied with ours.  StorageTek's service has been
> pretty damn great.
>
> -bh

> [...]
 The contents of this communication are intended only for the addressee and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this communication that do not relate to the official
business of my company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.