Networker

Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please

2003-03-21 09:10:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:10:52 -0500
Hi

In a support call I opened with Legato, I learned that running multiple
concurrent savegroups, which used to be a huge problem, is a problem no
longer:

        "In general, NetWorker is designed to run parallel backups from
different clients in different savegroups.

        "The limitations that may cause performance issues can include:
network speed and throughput, amount of concurrent backup streams, the
backup server performance, server parallelism, and tape drive performance
(to name a few).

        "We have many customers using NetWorker to run parallel backups
without issues.  It is a matter of scheduling and ensuring that the hardware
can support the backup load."

So, that (to me) opens the door for another option (other than writing a
script) to achieve cloning of savesets to multiple clone pools each with a
different retention period:  use the savegroup cloning method, and assign
all backup clients who share a particular retention period to the same
savegroup.  There are two problems with this:

*       I (and, I believe, other sites) only want to clone and retain full
backups;
*       the original and clone savesets MUST share the same browse and
retention policy.  As the support call went on to say:
        "Regarding clones that have different retention periods, the saveset
and their clone savesets cannot have different browse and retention
policies.  In other words, you cannot clone with one retention policy, and
then clone with another retention policy.  The browse and retention policy
is the same as the original saveset."

So, maybe the enhancement request should be to:
*       modify the savegrp CLI command and NetWorker Administrator GUI to
allow the cloning of savesets of only a certain backup level or levels (ex.,
'full');
*       modify the NetWorker architecture to allow clones to have a
different retention and browse periods than the original saveset, and modify
the NetWorker CLI and GUI programs for this change.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks
tl