Networker

Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please

2003-03-20 14:43:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:42:58 -0500
As I see it your cloning idea has one major flaw, the clone save sets are
chained off the original backup. So if you plan to keep the information
about your clones in the media data base, your going to have to keep the
information about the original save sets (tapes) also.

 Not true, in that you can delete the original saveset and still have access
to both the file and media level information.  I just tested this in
NetWorker V7.0, to make sure it works like I thought it does, and it does.
NetWorker will keep the file index and media database information, as long
as there is one or more copies of the saveset.

tl