Networker

Re: [Networker] Indices not backing up

2003-03-20 04:20:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Indices not backing up
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:20:46 -0500
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:42:58 -0800, Riggins.Rodney
<Rodney.Riggins AT FTB.CA DOT GOV> wrote:

>Sure,
>
>Here are some error messages that I have been receiving (using storage node
>named FD51 as an example...This is happening on all of my storage nodes).:
>
>fd51: 1 retry attempted.
>fd51: Index save error, no matching devices, check storage nodes, devices,
>or pools.
>fd51: Cannot open save session with fd14.ftb.ca.gov .
>***(fd14.ftb.ca.gov = Legato Server).***

This message usually means that there is no device on the NetWorker server
that can be used to write the pool used for your backup on the storage
node. Remember that the indices are always backed up on the server. Have
you configured lots of pools and restricted them to certain devices? If so
this has what has probably caused this. Tip: only create a new pool when
you really need to. Often the only reason to create multiple pools is to
accomodate multiple retention periods, although there are other valid
reasons. The solution is to either use less pools with less restrictions,
or create a dedicated index pool and configure it to backup all your
indices and bootstraps. The way to do this has been documented on this list
many times so I won't repeat it, but check the archives for info.