Networker

[Networker] What governs read speed?

2003-03-19 11:07:11
Subject: [Networker] What governs read speed?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:07:05 -0500
I have a question on speed when recovering data on a tape via saveset
recover. Obviously, there are many variables like number of multi-plexed
streams, type of drive, etc. that will play a factor, but let's assume
you have two tapes (A and B), each containing a saveset of equal size,
but saveset A is made up of a lot of tiny files and saveset B is made up
of fewer large size files. Furthermore, let's assume both savesets were
multi-plexed in the same way -- probably not likely but willing
suspension of disbelief -- and we're not counting the time to get to the
beginning of the saveset. Given the fact that both savesets are the same
size:

1. Assuming you were recovering the entire saveset, should NetWorker
read through either saveset in roughly the same time since they're
equivalent in total bytes, or will the speed at which it's reading
depend or be affected by the size of the files that it's pulling off
even though the total size of the saveset is the same?

2. Assuming you were recovering a single file buried somewhere in the
middle of the saveset, and this file was located in roughly the same
place on each saveset, and it just has to read through the data to get
there then will both recovers reach the file at the same time even
though one has to read through larger files and the other has to read
through smaller but more files?

In question 2, I guess I'm really just trying to figure out how or if
the size of the files in the saveset will dictate NetWorker's speed to
read over them -- or past them or whatever it does -- while it's looking
for the real file you're requesting. Or, maybe a better way of asking
this is: Does NetWorker take longer to recover files than it does to
just read through the data to get to a given file?

Would appreciate any clarifaction on this issue.

Thanks.

George