Networker

Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato

2003-03-18 13:51:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:50:57 -0800
Just one of those quirks.  You are supposed to wait till it verifys the
current label, select the tape pool you want, and then the tape name.  This
is because Networker doesn't know until it reads the label if this tape has
current data that should "not" be labeled at all. In addition, it doesn't
know the next tape number for a particular pool until you select the Pool.
It's logical if you think about it.

In my case it was Auto-Media that formated the tape.  If you put in a blank
tape, it automatically labels it as the next tape in sequence.  If you put
in a tape with expired data, it automatically relabels it and uses it.  Good
for remote users since all they have to do is insert a new, or expired tape
in the drive and Networker does the rest.  However, if the remote user gets
confused, and puts in multiple tapes when Networker doesn't need them, then
the data is spread out over all those tapes...

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics