Networker

[Networker] browse policy question

2003-03-14 11:41:16
Subject: [Networker] browse policy question
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:41:07 -0500
Hi,

I have a browse policy question but first let me explain. The current
browse policy on all our clients is one month. We would like to alter
our backup schedule on non-critical clients so that they perform one
full every other month rather than every month. Currently, our backup
schedule looks like this for these clients:

week 1: incr M-Th, Sat level 5, Sun skip
week 2: incr M-Th, Sat level 4, Sun skip
week 3: incr M-Th, Sat level 3, Sun skip
week 4: incr M-Th, Sat level full, Sun skip

What I would like to do is simply extend the level backups and
incrementals into the next month and then run a full on the last week of
every other month. I guess the levels would then go to 2, followed by a
series of level 1s. As near as I can tell, this would be a large tape
savings since most of the levels are a fraction of the size of a full,
even when added together, and worse case scenario, someone would need to
recover an entire file system just before the final full so they would
need all the tapes from the last full, the most recent level backup (in
this case a 1) and the most recent incrementals, but in most cases, this
would be the same number of tapes as now except that that last level
backup would be larger since it would extend four more weeks so the
recover would take longer but no worries there.

I'm thinking, though, that to do this we might need to increase the
browse policy on the clients from 1 month to 2 months, but I'm not sure.
I know that browse policy isn't just how far back you can recover data
via nwrecover browse window but also how long the server can continue to
perform level backups before it has to run a full. I also know a one
month browse policy is really one month plus one cycle, the cycle being
the last full prior to that. So, it seems that maybe a one month policy
would be fine since it would not truncate anything until you hit one
month plus one cycle, and in this case that would be an additional
month. Not sure. Maybe it should be more than two months? We have plenty
of disk space to increase the size of the client's indexes so space
would not be a problem.

I guess I'm confused about just how long a client's index can last
before NetWorker starts dropping stuff. I mean, if I don't run a full
for a couple of months, can I just keep running level 1s and
incrementals? Seems you could since it's one month plus one cycle beyond
that whenever that was: 1 month before, 2 months before, etc. But I
wanna make sure NetWorker doesn't truncate the index before it's run the
full, and I'm afraid that if I don't set this up right, it might not be
able to get all the way to the end of the second month before it looses
its little mind about what's changed which would prevent if from being
able to run another level, forcing it to back up everything and then my
devious plan gets washed down the drain.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Thank you.

George Sinclair
George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov