Networker

Re: [Networker] consequences of backup failure on just the index for a client

2003-03-13 10:13:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] consequences of backup failure on just the index for a client
From: Joe Moore <Joe.Moore AT SDRC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:03:39 -0500
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:52:17AM -0500, Martin J. Dellwo wrote:
> I am running Networker 6.1.3 server to backup many clients.
> Periodically (quarterly, actually) I do full backups that are set to not
> expire for a year and the clones are stored offsite for a year.  Normal
> daily backups are cycled on a 4 week schedule.
>
> In a recent quarterly full backup of a few hosts, all the savesets
> succeeded EXCEPT for the index saveset for each of the clients.  What
> are the consequences for restore?  Are the backups no good for long-term
> restore purposes, and should I repeat them?

I'd suggest that you rerun just the index backup, before the recent quarterly
backups become "recoverable".  If they're still "browsable", then the info
is still in the index database, and you would be able to (at some later time)
do an "nsrck -L7 -t <whenever>"

Run: savegrp -O <quarterlygroup>

If your backups are already out of the index DB, you could recover the DB
from a later date (from before the expiration time).

Or you could scan in the tapes using scanner(1), either now or when you
need to read them.

--Joe