Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Server on Linux

2003-03-10 13:51:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Server on Linux
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:51:29 -0500
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:45:11 -0500, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>Yes, Davina is correct. It's the /etc/stinint.def file, not
>/etc/st.conf. I must have been thinking in the Solaris world. The one
>problem I have with the nsrjb command to load a blank tape using -'n'
>parameter is that you're still using NetWorker to do it. I guess the
>whole idea of being able to Not use NetWorker is in the event that
>NetWorker is completely hosed up in some manner, and you want to
>completely remove NetWorker from the test equation. Like maybe there's
>been some kind of error on a drive and NetWorker refuses to work with it
>even though the drive is fine. On our P1000 tape libraries I would have
>no problem using the library GUI to load a tape in there, assuming, of
>course, the drive was working properly, but I have seen cases where
>NetWorker was too confused or discombobulated to do it under nwadmin.

In many cases you will still be able to do this. Even if the drive is not
working too well in NetWorker's eyes, nsrjb should go as far as putting the
tape in the drive and activating the load process.

If this doesn't work, there is a much lower level command available, sjimm
(mm = move media). This is very dumb and not integrated into NetWorker, but
this is sometimes what you want. Beware though, it is possible to overwrite
a tape unexpectedly if you do it wrong. sjimm allows you to do some things
that are impossible with normal NetWorker commands, such as depositing a
tape from the CAP and withdrawing another when the data slots are all full.
You can shunt tapes in and out of the drives to do this.

>Any ball park figure on the cost of Horizon?
Not sure except that it is pretty cheap. My guess would be in the wrong
currency anyway ;-). I think it was in tens or very low hundreds of UK
pounds rather than high hundreds. This probably translates 1:1 into
dollars - most things usually do (sigh) except petrol (sorry gas) where you
nearly need to add a 0.