Networker

Re: [Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox

2003-03-10 09:00:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:00:29 -0500
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:50:58 -0500, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>WOW! I guess I was pretty ignorant of the power of that command! It
>worked just like you said. Here's a question, though. Let's suppose
>instead of doing this:
>
>nsrjb -IEv -S 1-6
>
>to launch an inventory in parellel across all 2 drives, I instead did
>this:
>
>nsrjb -I -f /dev/rmt1 -S 1-3 &
>nsrjb -I -f /dev/rmt2 -S 4-6 &

In theory the two commands are pretty much the same, although the way the
tapes are allocated to drives will vary. With a larger sample of tapes the
former command may be more efficient. The time taken to label tapes can
vary and you may find that one command finishes earlier than the other. By
doing it all in one command any mismatch will correct itself. The first
version is much easier to handle, especially in a script where it is
unnecessary to worry about what devices exist, are in use, are read only,
are faulty etc.

In old versions of NetWorker (4.x ish) it WAS necessary to specify the
device name for all operations. These days things work a lot better and
life has become easier. There have been some anomalies with max
parallelism. For instance nsrjb -u when specified with no drive parameters
is supposed to unload all drives. Some versions of NetWorker would only
unload $MAX_PARALLELISM number of drives, a very confusing outcome. This
has been corrected in current versions.