Networker

Re: [Networker] how to handle software compressed data on a NetWare client

2003-03-07 11:24:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to handle software compressed data on a NetWare client
From: Matts Nilsson <matts_nilsson AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:24:03 +0100
 Jim,
Most backup softwares by default read the file
compressed and write it to tape, still with NetWare
compression. I'm afraid I'm not sure about NetWorker,
but I think it behaves on this way to.

If my previous statement is true, this gives you two
things to consider:
* Drive compression of already compressed data doesn't
really work. It might even explain your slow
throughput
* Restore. You have to restore the file to a drive
supporting NetWare compression, otherwise it'll be
unreadable.

Again, if my believes are correct, there ought to be a
way to uncompress the data before writing it to tape.
Again, I'm afraid I don't know how this would be done,
but I still hope this might point you in the right
direction to solving your problems.

Have a good weekend!

// Matts

 --- Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM> skrev: > Hi,
All

> I guess today is "confusion day". another thing I'm
> confused about is
> what's the right way to handle backing up data from
> a NetWare client
> that is stored using software compression by NetWare
> itself? the problem
> case is a large file server. it has about 170GB of
> compressed data
> consisting of about 1,000,000 smallish files. the
> backup of this monster
> is painfully slow and I'm wondering if I'm
> uncompressing and
> recompressing data along the way. unfortunately I'm
> absolutely ignorant
> about NetWare so I have to try and translate back
> and forth between
> Networker/UNIX which I understand and the client
> side which I don't.
> anyway, what, if anything, should I be telling the
> NetWare guy to do
> here? actually here's another wrinkle on this. am I
> correct in assuming
> that Networker is treating a client like this as a
> logical backup, ie
> opening, reading and closing each file as it goes
> along? back in the
> good old days (mainframes) the ugly scalability of
> something like this
> was dealt with by "physical backups", ie copying
> data in track and
> cylinder images without regard to the logical
> layout. is there any
> equivalent of this nowadays?
>
> Jim Lane
> Sr. Technical Consultant
> Network Services
> Toronto Hydro
> office: (416)-542-2820
> cell: (416)-896-8576
>
> --
> Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff
> networker" command via email
> to listserv AT listmail.temple DOT edu or visit the list's
> Web site at
> http://listmail.temple.edu/archives/networker.html
> where you can

Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html