Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup schedules.

2003-03-03 13:15:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup schedules.
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:15:18 -0500
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:27:30 +0100, Chandler, John
<John.Chandler AT DALPHIMETAL DOT COM> wrote:

>I'm using Networker 6.0.Build.153 and I want to set up a schedule of
backups
>like this:
>

>Every night an incremental backup is done (the "daily" backup)
>
>Every Friday a full backup is done (the "weekly" backup)
>
>Every month a full backup is done (the "monthly" backup)
>
>Every 3 months a full backup is done (the "quarterly" backup)
>

>I have the daily incremental backup and the Friday weekly backup working
>fine using tapes labelled "daily" and "weekly", but I can't see a way of
>making the monthly and quarterly ones work. Each thing I have tried is
>either completely ignored by Networker or the usual daily or weekly one is
>done instead.
>

>Do I have to create separate schedules for monthly and quarterly
with "skip"
>set in the schedules for when they are running?

Yes you do need to set up separate schedules for each of these backups. For
this to make sense you will need to make sure that only one of the
schedules applies to any particular day, so for instance on the day when
your monthly backup runs there will need to be a skip in the daily and
weekly.

To avoid having 4 client definitions for every client, you may want to
consider setting the schedules on your groups instead. The schedule is an
extended attribute of the NSR group resource. When the group schedule is
non-blank, it will override the client schedule. To make your configuration
more readable, define a schedule for the clients called "using group
schedule" and define this as all skips.

On a separate issue, I strongly recommend that you upgrade from 6.0. This
version had a particularly nasty bug that caused media database corruption,
and this will bite you painfully sooner or later. Anything from 6.0.1
onwards contains the fix, but of course 6.1.3 is currently the latest and
greatest.