Networker

[Networker] nwrecover requires XKeysymDB on Linux

2003-02-27 20:27:24
Subject: [Networker] nwrecover requires XKeysymDB on Linux
From: Simon Brady <simon.brady AT OTAGO.AC DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:17:24 -0500
I've just nailed a UI problem with nwrecover (6.1.1 build 238 and 6.1.3
build 428) on Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.3 (x86). Our basic RH server build is
fairly minimal, and doesn't include an X server - only the X client
libraries (libX11.so.6 etc.) required by the lgtoclnt RPM.

The observed problem was that nwrecover would launch fine, but while its
toolbar buttons and menus would respond to mouseclicks the treeview file
list wouldn't. This made it slightly difficult to select files to restore...

No error messages appeared, but after trawling through strace output I've
worked out that nwrecover requires the presence of /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
which is part of the XFree86 server RPM. I haven't been able to find this
dependency documented anywhere.

I'm tempted to report this as a bug - while I'm not an X programmer, I don't
see why a client program should require a server component (and I'd hate to
have to install an X server on every Networker client machine we have). Even
if there is a good reason, it would be nice if Legato documented the
requirement. However, I can't believe I'm the first person to encounter
this, which makes me wonder if I'm just missing something obvious.

Comments, anyone?

Thanks,
Simon