Networker

Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?

2003-02-27 12:32:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] FQDN clients?
From: Brian Dockter <Brian.Dockter AT STG.SEL.SONY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:22:30 -0800
Oscar Olsson wrote:

Yes, I get problems. If I only specify FQDN on the backup server when
setting up the client config there, the group starts, but the client gets
rejected when save.exe connects back to the backup server, since it
introduces itself as "www". Thus, I suppose I would like to get the
NT/2000 client to introduce itself as the FQDN over the legato protocol..?
How can I accomplish that in the best possible way?

We run all our MS Windows systems using FQDN names. There is a field
that needs to be filled in if you want Windows to send Networker the
FQDN as the client name. The field is not filled in during installation
and you have to go back in manually to fill it in. For Win2K, you can
find the field at My Computer->Properties->Network
Identification->Properties->More->Primary DNS suffix. For WinXP, it's at
My Computer->Properties->Computer Name->Change->More->Primary DNS
suffix. Once this field is filled in, Network will always send the FQDN,
not the short name.

Brian

--
Brian Dockter                    | Email: Brian.Dockter AT am.sony DOT com
Sr. Member Technical Staff       | Voice: 425-771-2400