Networker

Re: [Networker] How does NetWorker come up with backup speed?

2003-02-26 17:23:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] How does NetWorker come up with backup speed?
From: "pdeguise AT bigpond.net DOT au" <pdeguise AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:23:07 +1100
Hi,

> I have noticed a mismatch of backup speed shown in nwadmin versus
> iostat -x in NetWorker 6.1.3 and Solaris 8.
> We have a 2Mbps link to a remote client.
> nwadmin shows 192/154KB/s of backup speed.  iostat -x 5 shows 230-
> 256KB/s of writing speed to tape.  netstat -i -I hme0 5 shows
> around 2Mbps.
> If I calculate speed by using (total backup size)/duration, i get
> 240MB/s of backup speed.
> 570MB/39m:31s = 240MB/s
> The total size and duration are from the /usr/logs/messages file.
> Any comments on the 25% difference in readings?

We too have noticed these differences in NetWorker's reported
performance vs the OS reported performance.

We had a call open with Legato on this but the result of the call was
simply that Legato engineers felt that since iostat has low-level hooks
into the kernel they could not reproduce the same readings from within
nwadmin/nsrwatch/etc.

Cheers,

-Preston de Guise.